1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before? I did so many new things this year! How about a short list of three: Got a “real” job! went to Switzerland, and dipped my toes into the Baltic Sea.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year? The bad thing about resolutions is that I usually forget about them by February! So we’re going to just say yes 😉 And who knows if I’ll make any for 2012. I’ll let ya know in the morning.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? LOTS of people again! My cousin had TWINS! My buddy Jen from Canada had a little one at home, and our friends in Lafayette welcomed their first 😀 It (almost) makes me wish we had a little one right now so we could be part of the cool kids club… almost 😉
4. Did anyone close to you die? None this year!
5. What countries did you visit? Canada, France, and Switzerland! And we of course LIVED in Germany and the US 😉
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010? Toe socks! They would have be awesome to have when walking around Germany in he winter.
7. What date(s) from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory and why? Easter in Köln, it was breath taking. And the day we left Hamburg. I was with the Munchkins until the end, and while in someways I think it was probably best we did it that way, I still get “misty” eyed when I think back on it.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Surviving the last weeks traveling in Germany and Switzerland (France doesn’t count! it was a day trip). We LUGGED our entire lives on and off trains, up stairs, down stairs and everywhere! And yes, it seems silly, but it quite possibly was the craziest thing we’ve done to date.
9. What was your biggest failure? Not traveling as much as we had planned in Germany and the surrounding countries. Oh well, more for next time!
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Rapid-succession bronchitis over the winter! Sill trying to get my lung capacity back to normal, but its MUCH better than it was earlier this year.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Weekend train tickets.
12. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Visiting the Rammelsberg Mine! Seeing family after a year!
13. What song will always remind you of 2011? “Up in Indiana” by Lyle Lovett — just because it sort of describes how I felt moving back to this state – OR – “Raise Your Glass” by P!NK
14. Compared to this time last year, are you:Thinner or fatter? Thinner! Though, I have gained weight since coming back to the States… need to fix that!
15. Richer or poorer? Real job = richer 😉 Though a good chunk of that is going towards student loans and savings so probably not quite as “rich” as I’d like :p
16. What do you wish you’d done more of? Traveling and actually posting about trips here.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of? Complaining!
18. Did you fall in love in 2011? Into ever deeper love with JP, and IN love with so many friend’s babies!
19. What was your favorite TV program? German-dubbed TV!
20. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Nope. Not even Bin Ladin!
21. What was the best book you read? A bunch of the free Kindle books! There is an awesome selection 😀 One of my favorites was a short novel by the title of Unicorn Bait
22. What was your greatest musical discovery? Probably Lena Meyer the 2011 German artist for Eurovision.
23. What did you want and get? A job in my field! Munchkin hugs. Baby snuggles (from friends and Munchkin 3)
24. What did you want and not get? Hard one… a puppy?
25. What did you not want and get? Bronchitis marathon at the beginning of the year.
26. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 25 and we just did things around Hamburg since the weather was rainy. We had planned to go to Cuxhaven to see the Nordsee (north sea) and Seehund (harbor seals), but that didn’t pan out 😛 Oh well, NEXT TIME!
27. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Boots that hadn’t died during the German winter/thicker socks. (note to self – pack LOTS more socks when in Germany next…)
28. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011? For the majority of it? Living out of a suitcase!
29. What kept you sane? JP, facebook and beer!
30. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Ron Paul. Though, not so much fancying him as agreeing with him, even if he’s been deemed “ape shit crazy” by the media 😛
30. What political issue stirred you the most? TSA’s body searches/occupy whatever (I STILL don’t get why we have “occupy bloomington”…)/Eurozone crisis, and of course gearing up for the crazy stuff with the GOP debates 😛
31. Who did you miss? Germany at Christmas time.
32. Who was the best new person you met? I met lots of people this year! So I can’t really say there was a “best”… Our friend Lada who lived in the same building and her roomie were pretty awesome though — they made us a going away dinner the day before we left 🙂
33. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011: That you really CAN tell your hubby/best friend anything and everything and while he might poke fun or give you a funny look he’ll love you no matter what.
34. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
So raise your glass if you are wrong
In all the right ways, all my underdogs
We will never be, never be anything but loud
And nitty gritty, dirty little freaks
— “Raise Your Glass” P!NK