When you’re growing up and learn that jobs PAY you a week out of the year for sick leave you think to yourself “A whole week?! AWESOME!!!”. But then you get into that grown up world and realize really quick that you had overly romanticized the whole paid time off thing because…
- You try to tough it out and go in with the sniffles. (and you know there is no amount of hand sanitizer in the world that would make your coworkers ok with you coming in)
- You feel guilty about taking time off. (and even MORE guilt pops up when you need to take a second day)
- Because you feel guilty about taking you check your work email several times just in case. (though you know since you can’t access the server from home you wouldn’t be able to do much)
- You hate taking a day because that means you’ll have to dip into vacation days if you need to see the doctor. (or take unpaid time!)
- You should be sleeping but you STILL end up doing dishes or laundry or vacuuming. (because you know, you’re a grown up now, and if you don’t do it, it won’t get done.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need another nap.