So, I thought I had scheduled this thing to be posted on December 31, 2013 as this is normally posted. Instead I found out upon logging in that I never actually hit the “schedule” button! So, let’s play catch up and get the ball rolling on It’s a Geek Life for 2014!
1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before? Left my big girl job. Holy cow was that an emotional roller coaster. And now we’re living in BERLIN! Oh, and I had my first ever hospital stay. That was “fun” :p Oh! And Disney World in May!
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I think I let mine slip from last year. Though, I did end up losing a few pounds, though it has been one heck of a crash diet 😛
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Omigosh my FB newsfeed is SO full of babies you wouldn’t believe it! And they’ve included cousins, close friends, college friends, internet friends. I swear somedays my ovaries are nudging me and saying “so, how about another go?” and my uterus is all “that sounds like a good idea to me!” and I’m all “not now guys, we need to figure out what’s up health-wise first and get rid of 25 pounds!” and then their like “awwww man”. So the short answer is yes.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Aside from something that was very personal to JP and me, right before we left for Germany his great-great-great aunt’s mother died. The silver lining of having to leave my job is that we were there for family through it.
5. What countries did you visit? The US and Germany. Other countries will be happening in 2014 though! We’re hoping for Austria, the Czech Republic, the Netherlands, France, Italy and Denmark at the very least!
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013? I’m not quite sure how to answer this one. I guess it would have been nice if my “big girl” job had allowed me to just transfer to the Berlin office, but then again I don’t feel like it has been a HUGE loss now, even though the day I put in my letter I had a MAJOR panic attack. I could also say that I wish we had a wee one after the not so great thing happened at the beginning of 2013, but now looking back I know there was a reason we weren’t able to meet that little one. Like I said, it is really hard for me to say this year.
7. What date from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory and why? A date at the end of January. July 29th — I put in the letter for my big girl job. September 13th — we left for Berlin to start another crazy adventure. December 25th — Pain and a German ER! I’m sure there are a few others.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? I’m not sure actually.
9. What was your biggest failure? Letting little things get out of hand and turn into fights.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Yeah…
11. What was the best thing you bought? I’m going to say pre-paying out storage unit for over a year. It was nice to get the discount and to be able to just pay it instead of worrying about monthly payments potentially getting mucked up.
12. What did you get really, really, really excited about? The Lyle Lovett concert in Bloomington!
13. What song will always remind you of 2013? Tom Waits’ Hold On. 2013 has been a very trying year in so many ways. There have been lots of growing pains and quite a bit of heartache too. So 2014 has to be better, right?
14. Compared to this time last year, are you: Thinner or fatter? About the same, though I might be a little lighter after the hospital stay.
15. Richer or poorer? Poorer money-wise.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of? Writing.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of? Being self-centered and complaining. Also choosing to not make the most of situations and just be happy.
18. Did you fall in love in 2013? But of course. I love my husband 😀
19. What was your favorite TV program? The new Hannibal series. Some parts I have to look away, but it is REALLY well written.
20. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? Nope. I dislike certain people more, but I don’t hate them. And those people are mainly those who “represent” “we the people” in DC who have made total and complete asses of themselves and need to be fired.
21. What was the best book you read? Oh gosh, I’ve read SO many books this year. Speaking of which, I need to be better about keeping my board on pinterest better updated… Guess what I’m doing after this! I wonder if the library has a record of everything I checked out in 2013…
22. What was your greatest musical discovery? Max Raabe. He’s a German Schlager singer and awesome! Also Mumford and Sons — I know I’m totally late to the bandwagon on that one given my affinity for Folk music, but I was busy when they hit the US big time in 2012 (I think? or was it earlier?). Yeah… I have a really weird combination as far as musical taste goes.
23. What did you want and get? Moving back to Germany!
24. What did you want and not get? Again, I’m not sure how to answer this one. I can think of very material things, or my job not transferring, but I think I might go ahead and say a wee one, even though I didn’t know that they had taken up residence until they were leaving.
25. What did you not want and get? And infection that landed me in the hospital and another miscarriage.
26. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I went to work, went out to lunch, got free frozen yogurt with vouchers from Red Mango and Orange Leaf. I turned 27.
27. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Finishing my graduate school application instead of being in the hospital. I guess we’ll just make that resolution number 1 for 2014.
28. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013? I’m back to suitcase chic!
29. What kept you sane? I hate to sound like a broken record, but JP. Especially with my hospital stay. He has been my hero, and I am NOT over exaggerating that in the least bit.
30. Which celebrity/public figure did you follow the most? I was actually taken with the German election when we arrived. It was interesting to follow the process again as well as the politicians.
30. What political issue stirred you the most? The damn affordable healthcare act or the whole NSA mess. Seriously America, what they heck?! It makes me not want to go back in 8ish months.
31. Who did you miss? In May and June it was JP since he was in Austria for 7 weeks. Right now, family. Holidays are always tough when you can’t go home, but when you have illness on top of it and a pretty big time difference it makes things all the more complicated. I also miss friends from college that I haven’t had a chance to see in forever.
32. Who was the best new person you met? I’m going to say Sarah and Jack!
33. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013: Don’t squander the good things or the good people in your life.
“Oh you got to
Hold on, Hold on
You got to hold on
Take my hand, I’m standing right here
You gotta hold on”